OK - I admit it - I haven't been doing posting of much significance recently. What I've done instead is to build up a tolerance to the sight of an infant with spit-up covering the entire side and back of his head who is also urinating on my hand while soiling his recently removed diaper... <sigh>... Anyways, something ostensibly more closely related to verification is the experiment I'm trying on my current engagement. Instead of writing all my notes down in a notebook or 10 I've started keeping anything I deem useful in a personal TiddlyWiki.
For those of you into debugging software, here's an interesting interview with the creator of Valgrind, a collection of debug and profiling tools.
Ok, I was working on 10G Ethernet back in 2001-2002 but not many people can justify the costs to upgrade... nice to see that someone has continued to work on the technology!
Duncan Cockburn asked in a comment to a recent post what the output format was that I used for my XSLT transformation of a Framemaker document. I dump the results of my XSLT transformation into a format that is close to the final output used in my workflow (i.e. I don't save it in a structured XML format first). Then I post-process the whole thing with a Perl script to clean up some pieces that were difficult to handle with XSLT. I know that you can work with the XML tree directly from Perl but found two issues:
- I ended up using some XSLT 2.0 constructs (or at least was playing with them) that required I use the Saxon XSLT query processor. If you know how to use XSLT 2.0 from Perl directly let me know.
- Time. This was a side project I was working on - The task I was working on was to manually copy several registers worth of information from the Framemaker document to another, more structured, file. I saved quite a bit of time (and was able to do the task much more accurately) using a more automated approach. To make sure I didn't get stuck and waste time learning all the ins and outs of the way Perl and XML/XSLT parsers work I decided to separate the extraction and final cleanup tasks.
The Gray household just got a little bit larger over the course of the past week! About the only thing better would be if I could get a little sleep every once and awhile! Diapers, slobber, and spit - lucky for him he's so cute, otherwise, he'd be on his own! :-).
Wow, I must have hit the big time. Someone linked to an entry I wrote back in December from the University of Michigan. :-). On it, they write about my vague description of static partitioning. To help clear things up a bit I thought I'd provide a link to a Wikipedia entry with more info about logical volume management. Additionally, the article entitled "Unix/Linux Disk Partitioning Guide" written by Wayne Pollock describes reasons for wanting a logical volume manager instead of using simple static partitions.
In short, static partitions can't be changed dynamically, meaning you can't resize them. To make a new partition you need to blow them away and start over. A logical partition can be resized by adding new disks, taking over space from an existing disk, etc. I would strongly encourage anyone reading this to refer to one of the links listed above for more useful (and accurate) info.